fluid fancy


From previously exploring identity purley through photography and video, I wanted to explore it further, through the means of colour. 

- Why do we instantly associate colour with certain emotion? 
- What is colour psychology's explanation for this? 
- Fluid Art is a vibrant way to display colour, thus how could I use this to create works, inspired by archival pieces?



Fluid Art is a style in which a medium, usually acrlyic is allowed to flow freely to form fanciful patterns. Liquid flowing arcylics can be bought, however to create the pieces below I used Liquitex poruing medium, along with regular acrylics. 

There are many different techniques which artists use to force the colours to blend in a fascinating way, however personally I found using a straw to blow the acrylics into one another the most effective, through much experimentation. 

Each small piece I created is inspired by a certain decade. After visiting the M&S archive, I felt quite inspired to use a colour palette from each even decade to hopeefully create a sense of nostalgia in a modern abstract way. I used 5.5inch x 5.5inch canvases. 

The first piece I created was based on the 1920's, and frequent use of the colours rose and blue. I was inspired by a National Trust property, Wallington Hall. With fluid art pieces, you must use a base ; therefore the base I chose for this work was white, as I knew it would keep the piece light. 






The second piece I created was based on the 1940's, and frequent use of the colours green, red, ochre and blue. I was inspired by a colour chart which included all these colours, as well as the M&S archival book. Again, the base I chose for this work was white, as I knew it would keep the piece light. 






The third piece I created was based on the 1960's, and frequent use of the psychedelic colours green, orange and pink. I was inspired by a colour chart which included all these colours, as well as the M&S archival book. Again, the base I chose for this work was white, as I knew it would keep the piece light.






The fourth piece I created was based on the 1980's, and frequent use of the colours yellow and blue. I was inspired by the various colourful jackets which were very present within this era, and the M&S archival books.  For this piece I used black as the base, as I knew it would make the yellow and blue appear more vibrant. 







The final piece I created was based on the 2000's, and frequent use of the colours red, white and blue. I was inspired by the spice girls and their bold pops of colours within each of their outfits.  For this piece I used white as the base, as this colour was used a lot to make outfits come together. 







I hope you liked the pieces and find them interesting? And hopefully understand the links between the inspiration and the outcome, even if it does sound a bit like bs!

I also made a video on the pieces ; watch it here!
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbk9Pedusl4&t=38s





You May Also Like

0 comments