inktober 2016

by - Saturday, November 05, 2016

Inktober is a challenge that I've been wanting to complete for a while. Every year seeing different artists testing their creativity urges me to do the same ; this year I finally took the plunge and did it. 

Jake Parker created inktober in 2009, to improve his inking skills and positive drawing habits. It has since grown into a worldwide endeavor, with many artists making their own lists of prompts for the month. 

At first, I thought that the challenge would be quite simple, as on the first day I had many ideas for the first prompt. But as the month went on, a creative block did start to set in as it becomes difficult to think of an interesting and unique daily drawing. I did miss out a couple of days for the month, as the prompt words made my mind go blank. 

I definitely do understand where Parker was coming from with this challenge helping him to maintain a positive drawing habit. For some reason, on some days it seemed like such a chore to create a little sketch, whereas on other days I wanted to make the drawing as detailed as possible. 

The main surprise for me, however, was how much my mood influenced the drawings. If I was in a more disheartened mood, my drawings would have a deeper and more sullen meaning ; in comparison to when I was in a happier mood where the drawings were lighter and more carefree. 

Overall, I feel a big sense of achievement that I actually managed to do 29/31 days and hope to possibly create a full set in 2017.




























You May Also Like

0 comments