// s l e e p //

by - Sunday, June 12, 2016

Sleep (n) ; a condition of body and mind which typically recurs for several hours every night, in which the nervous system is inactive, the eyes closed, the postural muscles relaxed and consciousness practically suspended.

A2 photography exam; sleep. I chose the word sleep, as I believed it had many aspects to explore, in particular dreams and hallucinations. Researching the different stages of sleep urged me to form a plan and create a piece exploring these phases in more depth. As taking imagery alone has become a comfort zone for myself,  I originally planned to tell this within a sequence of photographs. However after analysing further, I came to the decision that film would narrate my concepts in a better fashion. 


Many film makers have stated that their moving image concepts change dramatically during the shooting and editing process, I could not comprehend this at first ; but it couldn't be more true. The initial idea of creating a piece transitioning from stop motion to moving image became quickly discarded when editing. Instead the moving image has turned into a bold, vibrant and vivid piece; rendering more of a music video then a narrative sleep cycle.

Nevertheless, I am fond of the unique and idiosyncratic format. 
I hope you are too, the link to watch the piece is below!

You May Also Like

0 comments